Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Nuclear Pharmacy

I'm getting a little extra quality time at home due to a vicious case of the flu (of which I will spare you the details) so I thought I would post a little explanation of nuclear pharmacy. I was looking for a job four years ago when I found an classified ad for medical delivery persons. I thought that it probably had to do with home oxygen service and I thought that was surely something that I could do so I jotted down the address and went to apply. Wouldn't you know it, I couldn't find the place, which was very frustrating because I have lived here my whole life. I discussed it with my dad that evening and he gave me directions and I decided that if I had time the next day I would still go and apply. Long story short, I went in, applied, interviewed and was offered a job as an office administrator at a nuclear pharmacy. Nuclear pharmacy? What in the world is that?
Nuclear pharmacies dispense radioactive pharmaceuticals to hospitals and clinics mostly for diagnostic imaging tests. We are a small lab and dispense anywhere from 125-175 doses per day. We service about an 80 mile radius and have a staff of 6 drivers, 2 pharmacists, and me - a pharmacy technician/office administrator. I love my job because I get to operate within almost every facet of our business. I can milk the generators (get the radioactive material out so that we can work with it), I can compound the drugs, draw doses (almost everything we dispense is in a syringe), perform quality control tests, pack up cases, tear down cases, and make deliveries. I can also help maintain the pharmacy's radiation safety paperwork (in case of an audit by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission) and I run the office. The office stuff consists of billing our customers, turning in payroll, managing our fleet, accounts payable, and anything else my boss dreams up. Some days are really super busy but most of the time I get a change to sit down with my boys (I'm the only girl on staff) and have a cup of coffee and shoot the breeze. It is definitely not a high stress environment and I am so thankful for that. When I first started working there I thought the coolest thing about the job was that we got to wear lab coats and drive company cars. Now that I've been with the company for four years (next week) I realize that it is so much more than that. I'm truly blessed to have this job and I'm so grateful that I serve a God who is active in placing me where I can best be used. He has helped me develop the skills I need to perform the job and He has been faithful to give me opportunites to minister to the guys I work with. Answered prayers all around!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the explanation, Mary Ann! Is it at all dangerous to work around those radioactive pharmaceuticals? What an interesting sounding job!