Sunday, July 1, 2007

Ahhh...the weekend!

Just like everyone else out there, I love a good relaxing weekend. I had to work both jobs on Friday so I didn't get off to a fabulous start, but I went to bed & fell asleep reading (my favorite way to sign off for the day b/c I sometimes have lots of trouble actually getting to sleep). I got up early Saturday morning & headed out to get some square donuts. That's right, square donuts. They are somewhat of a novelty & point of pride for my hometown. They are also essential food for yard salers. Autumn & her two sisters, April & Abby, were having a yard sale on Saturday. So I took them the donuts & found some great bargains for my niece Madison. Then I was off for a run. Three miles down & then I spent a few hours cleaning & messing around at home, including a run to the farmer's market on my bike. One quick shower & a stop for an iced cappuccino & I hit I-70 East. I headed over to Indy to visit with Heidi (Coston) & her boys for the afternoon/evening. She's 8 1/2 months pregnant with their third son & I did my best to wear her out & walk her around so that she could maybe go into labor (her idea). Didn't work. But I did find a great bargain on a pair of jeans at the Gap & I also found a great tour book of Ireland (hopefully next year's destination).
Today I enjoyed a wonderful time of worship & communion at church. My pastor has been preaching out of Micah and this morning's text was Micah 6:6-8

Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

An excellent reminder that the Lord is more interested in my obedience than my sacrifice or worship. If only I would love the Lord as I ought, obedience would fall into place. Definitely something to ponder.

After a nice dinner with my parents I met up with Stew & Mike. I went to high school with these 2 brothers. Stew was in my sister's class & Mike was in my class. We've all been friends since band camp of my sophomore year. They are also my bike riding buddies. We set out on a ride around downtown with a special objective. The city has put together a parade of colts (just like they had the bulls in Chicago, the horses in Lexington, etc.). I've seen some of the bulls and most of the horses, & now I've seen all of the colts. This is where the Colts football team comes for their training camp so it's quite appropriate that we have colts all over town, don't you think? We took some pics for your viewing pleasure...

3 comments:

Adele said...

Hey, I thought Vienna was next on your list? What put Ireland to the top? It is a beautiful country and definitely one worth visiting. You'll love it!

Only six more weeks until our big rendezvous!

Mary Ann said...

Vienna is still next on my list. I guess I was thinking in terms of 2008. I'm headed to Vienna in September & Ireland will hopefully happen sometime in the first half of 2008. Then I'd better stay home for a while!
Can't wait to see you in Nappanee!!

Unknown said...

Downtown Milwaukee does the same thing but with - you guessed it - cows! Fun times. I liked the sunshiney-flower colt the best.

What a packed weekend you had! I'm hooked on yard sales. I could go all weekend long but Matt's not too thrilled with all the money that I spend . . .

It's astonishing that God doesn't require something "material" out of us for our sin. Only our hearts and our devotion to Him. Wow, what a God!