Friday, May 23, 2008



Thomas W. Bailey
Thomas W. Bailey, 88, of Terre Haute died at 2:15 a.m. Tuesday, May 20, 2008, at Meadows Manor North. He was born in Arkansas on Aug. 7, 1919, to Henry F. Bailey and Mary E. Sluder Bailey. He retired from the former Quaker Maid where he worked in the shipping department. His wife, Rosalie Johnson Bailey, preceded him in death on May 8, 2005. He is survived by two sons, Thomas L. Bailey and wife Becky of Rosedale, and Steven R. Bailey and wife Kathy of Texas; a brother, Earl S. Bailey of Arkansas; his grandchildren, Robin Rice and husband Scott, Birch Bailey, Betsy Leslie and husband Dan, Ryan Bailey, Brian Bailey, and Michael Bailey; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by brothers, Charles, Emery, Elmer and Lester Bailey; and sisters, Gladys Johnson and Zelphy Foster. He was a Navy veteran of World War II, serving in the Southwest Pacific Theatre with the Seabees. His memberships included Terre Haute First Church of the Nazarene, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 972, and he was a former member of Southside Evening Optimist Club. Funeral services are 11 a.m. Saturday at DeBaun Springhill Chapel, 85 E. Springhill Drive, with the Rev. Ryan Bailey, a grandson, officiating. Burial will be at Westlawn Cemetery in Farmersburg, with VFW Post 972 conducting military rites. Visitation is 4 to 8 p.m. Friday.
This is my darling great Uncle Wayne. He went to be with the Lord this week. Although it makes me sad to know that I won't hear his happy voice call me Baby Doll anymore, I am rejoicing in the fact that his days spent in the misery of ill health are over. Uncle Wayne always told the most hilarious stories from his childhood. He hated going to school in the one room schoolhouse in Arkansas, so he would get up very early & go skunk hunting. Once he got himself a fat skunk, he would generously apply skunk fat to the steam radiators in the building. You can imagine the odiferousness of the school building once those radiators started heating up. Yep, school would get called off & he couldn't have been a happier boy! He was married to my Aunt Rosalie for more years than I even know. Even though she passed away several years ago, he still referred to her as his 'Sweetheart.' They used to have a great house in the country with a huge garden & a deep, skinny finger of a lake behind their home. That's where I took my first swim in natural water rather than pool water. I was about three years old & I just jumped right off the dock. I think I about gave my parents a heart attack, but I (vaguely) remember enjoying myself, splashing around in that green, slimy water. I spent the rest of the afternoon wrapped up in a bath towel while Aunt Rosalie washed my clothes.
Since last Memorial Day I have lost two uncles. As we go about our holiday activities they won't be there. That reality makes me sad, but knowing that they are in heaven in the presence of our Lord more than soothes my soul. Thank God they are no longer suffering. Thank God they are forgiven through Christ & enjoying the benefits of being joint heirs with Him. Thank God for my wonderful family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. We'll be praying for your family.

The Thompsons said...

It sounds like your uncle was quite a guy. I know you'll miss him. We're praying for you. (His skunk story is hilarious!)

Erin said...

It's such a comfort when our loved ones know the Lord and we know we'll see them again. I also love the skunk story. I would try that for work if I didn't live in the same building. :)

Adele said...

He sounds like quite the man! I'm sorry for your loss, but glad that He's enjoying time with his Savior!