Monday, June 15, 2009

Whew! What a weekend!



I had to put the party guy graphic on this post because this weekend we had a little bit of partying going on!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I left work early on Friday so that I could attend Arvin's funeral. It was a wonderful celebration of a man who lived his life loving his God, his family, & his nation.

After the funeral, I was able to go for lunch with Stephanie (mmm...Fazolis!) & then we did a little shopping at Hobby Lobby & the dollar store. After that she headed out to meet up with her mom & I continued on my own trying to get some wedding stuff hunted down.

Friday evening the ladies of my church gave me a bridal shower. It was such a fun time! Instead of doing any little shower games (that always make me groan) Debbie (Steph's mom & co-planner of the event) just asked me to tell Our Story. It was so fun to go over the circumstances & things that the Lord used to bring Mike & me together. I've gotta write it all down in detail at some point. Then I got to open a huge mound of presents. I am seriously humbled & almost in shock that so many people are celebrating our marriage. I felt very loved. My church has always been such a support. The Lord has really used those people in my life.

But let me tell you about the funnies that occurred during present opening. At our first shower we got a toaster. I was very happy. I love me some nicely toasted toast & the current toaster just wasn't cutting it. The new toaster is fabulous. We registered for it & assumed it had been taken off the registry after our first shower. Not so much. At this shower, we received THREE more toasters! Each time I opened one I just couldn't help but laugh - teeheehee! And the other big laugh came courtesy of Janet, my sweet little ladies' Bible study mentor (she's a huge blessing to me). She gave me a gift with a card that read,

Dear Mary Ann,

Here's a little something to make your wedding night extra special.

Love, Janet

What??? I couldn't believe she was gonna give me a flimsie in front of all the church ladies! I turned ultra-violet red & tried to skip opening it but of course they wouldn't let me! So I opened it. And then I about died laughing! Inside the box was a floor length, long sleeved, high-collared red flannel nightgown. That lady has a seriously fabulous sense of humor. Love, love, love her!

The partying continued on into Saturday. When I bought my house I (somewhat rashly) made a promise to my third/fourth grade Sunday School class that I would have a party for them. Well, it has taken a long time for me to make good on my promise but on Saturday I had 5 of them over to my house for about 3 hours. A couple of them brought lots of nerf guns (oh my!), we played with perler beads, the Play Station, watched part of Prince Caspian from the Chronicles of Narnia, made english muffin pizzas & hot fudge brownie sundaes. All in all, it was a fun time. I have some super great kids in my class & they have been super patient waiting for this little get together. They asked if we could do a sleep over next time & I felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to say NO. ;-)

I also did a ton of cleaning, straightening, & ridding this weekend. I had a total car full to drop off at Goodwill when I loaded up all of the recyclables & a few yard sale leftovers. It's such a relief to get rid of unneeded stuff. Ahhh!

Yesterday was a nice day of worship & wedding shopping. I intend to attempt another No Spend Week this week. The exceptions are some salad/fruit groceries I'm going to get tonight & anything wedding related. Other than that - no spending! Anybody else wanna join me?

What kind of fun adventures did you have over your weekend?

3 comments:

Erin said...

It sounds like you had so much fun! I'm with you on the no spending weekends. A good way to do that is be sick at home in bed. No money needed for that one.

Adele said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy yourself and get some things done.

That is hilarious about the toaster. That probably won't be the only thing you get duplicates of! Somehow I don't think Mike would laugh a/b the nightgown, but you could try it! :)

ruth said...

Well, you already know my weekend adventures, but I'm so glad you had a good one. It sounds like you needed to laugh and celebrate a bit. :) Please do write down yours and Mike's story... I'd love to read it, since we only reconnected after the two of you were together, I have no idea how it all came about. :)

And as a follow up to your comment on my blog, yes living in Trailor 2 was good times wasn't it? Do you remember Lindsi and the slip incident? Ha, ha, ha!!!