Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mike's Handiwork

Lately Mike has been spending lots of time drawing out plans, shopping at the home improvement stores, & hanging out with his tools in the basement. No, we aren't fighting & he isn't trying to get away from the wife. He's been making this beautiful mirror/coat rack/shelf combo for his parents.
It hangs just inside their back door which is the door everyone uses. He had to adjust the plans a little bit so that it would fit their space. There is the mirror for last minute checks on the way in & the way out, two drawers for keys, cell phones, etc. & underneath the drawers are hooks for jackets.
He has a couple of other projects that are in the works as well. I love the fact that Mike can take wood & make something so beautiful & functional. It is definitely a skilled art. We are wishing, hoping, saving, & praying for the ability to build a garage soon. Mike has adequate space in our basement for a workshop but we both agree that the sawdust seems to be seeping through the floorboards into the main living area of our home. I sweep & vacuum, vacuum & sweep. Since we have all hardwood floors it seems to make it a little more of a problem. But I can deal with a little dust if he keeps turning out beautiful things like this!
I know a lot of you sew & do other crafts. What projects do you have in the works to keep you busy during these cold winter months?

4 comments:

Jenny said...

what I AM doing to keep myself busy - keeping a preschooler and a toddler busy indoors, LOL. What I wish I was doing - finally getting around to window treatments for the whole house. It's to the point where it would be worth it. Used to be that my makeshift curtains were the prettiest thing in the house, and now, well, not so much. I guess that is a HUGE improvement!! :-)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous project! My hubby loves to tinker with wood as well but his projects are not nearly as beautiful as they are functional. :)

I've had several sewing projects started but haven't finished much! :) Hoping to at least get Chloe's easter dress done in time for easter this year. :)

Erin said...

O goodness...it's simply beautiful!

Rebecca said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! He is very talented!