Friday, February 18, 2011

The Great Crock Extravaganza

I mentioned earlier this week that I needed your help choosing a crock pot recipe to make for the annual tasting party that my church's ladies' group hosts. Tonight is the big party! Several of you passed on a recipe & I thought I would post them here for everyone to see.

Italian Chicken Sandwiches, contributed by Erin
4 chicken breast halves (bone in, skin on)
4 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
1 packet onion soup mix
1/4 cup Italian dressing
1 T. garlic salt
1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients & cook until meat falls off of bone. Debone, shred the chicken & put back in the crock & heat until it's hot. Serve on hard rolls.

Pork Loin/Beef Roast, contributed by Jenny
3 lbs. beef roast or pork loin
Salt & pepper
Garlic powder
1/2 large onion
16 oz. jar mild banana pepper rings

Season the meat with salt, pepper, & garlic powder. Slice onion & put half on the bottom of the crock. Put meat in the crock & layer remaining onions over the top. Pour the jar of pepper rings over the top. Cook for 4-6 hours on low or until meat reads done on meat thermometer. Shred meat & enjoy with beans & rice or tortillas.

Spiced Slow Cooker Applesauce, contributed by Alicia
8 apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Combine the apples & water in a slow cooker; cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in the brown sugar & pumpkin pie spice; continue cooking another 30 minutes.

Lentils & Kielbasa, contributed by Rebecca
1 bag of lentils
1 quart chicken stock
2 carrots, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 stalks celery, diced
2 potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup diced onion
12-16 oz. turkey kielbasa, sliced
4 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cumin (or thyme)

Sort the lentils to remove any debris. Put all ingredients in crock pot. Let simmer 2-5 hours on high or 6-8 on low.

I decided that I would make the Lentils & Kielbasa to take tonight. I chose that one mostly because I've never done anything with lentils before & this recipe is most likely one that Mike would not be too excited about. Tonight's party seemed like the perfect opportunity to whip it up! The only thing I am concerned about is the timing. The party is at 6 p.m. I leave for work before 7 a.m. I couldn't get the crock cooking before I left for work or it would have been cooking for 11 hours. I won't get home until a little after 3 p.m. & that's when I'm going to get everything started. Let's hope it gets good & done by 6 p.m.! I have a stinking suspicion that my crock pot cooks a little bit on the hot side. Here's hoping I'm right!

For those of you who contributed recipes, thank you so much. They definitely helped me out & I am planning on giving each one of them a go sometime soon!

1 comment:

Adele said...

You'll have to let us know how it turns out!