Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Reclaimed Treasure

I mentioned a while back that Mike & I spent some quality time in our basement, unpacking, reorganizing, pitching, & donating. We actually worked as a team together very well. There were only one or two sticking points when I thought he should pitch/donate & he didn't or where he thought I should pitch/donate & I didn't.
Just another growth opportunity for our marriage, right?
*grin*
The contents of this harmless looking box is one of those sticking points. Mike was exasperated. He even got red in the face. He said, these have been packed up in a box in the basement for two years & you haven't missed them! Why do you need them? I said that I had indeed missed them! And that I do indeed need them!
It's my cassette tape collection!
I was so excited!
Here are some homemade edited tapes that were Northland music standard approved. One of them is Disney tunes, one of them is bluegrassy type stuff & the other one is still unknown because I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet & there is no label. I really hope it is one of the tapes that we made when we were little. My brother, sister & I would do game shows & commercials & record them. We.Had.Such.Fun.

I have listened to the Christmas piano one so many times that I think it's a miracle that it still works. Ditto for the Mac & Beth Lynch tape in the middle. The one on the end is a Christmas tape my dad made for me when I was about 8 years old. It's a FABULOUS mix tape with the soundtrack for Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer as well as a bunch of stuff from The New Christy Minstrels. Way before my time but way good stuff!

I have a boom box in the kitchen & I've been jamming away while I cook & wash dishes. There's nothing like baking a Rustic Apple Pie while dancing along with "Kiss the Girl" from Little Mermaid! And let's not forget the joy that can be found in drying dishes while "I'll Be Your Candle on the Water" from Pete's Dragon serenades you!
Mike just didn't understand that what we found in the basement that day was a lost treasure!
And as he watches me jam in the kitchen he's not likely to be convinced any time soon - HA!

No comments: