Monday, April 18, 2011

Bambi Kisses

The Bambi Kiss
I work in a unique workplace.  Not everybody gets to handle radioactive medicines on a daily basis.  It's interesting & some days it's even fun.

Our staff goes to work early.  I go in at 7:00 a.m. & I'm the last one there.  The pharmacist gets going on stuff between 2:30 a.m. & 3:00.  Our other technician comes in at 3:00 & the drivers report at 3:30.  Usually they have all of the doses for our first run ready to go between 4:00 & 5:00 a.m.  That means our guys are out there on the road in the wee hours of the morning, driving in the dark.  And we are in the Midwest.  You know what that means - deer, & lots of them.  At this point I have lost track of how many times we have had a driver hit a deer in the past 9 1/2 years. 

Bob hit a deer this last Friday.  His car is in the picture above.  It wasn't really too bad of a hit, thank God.  It has been a good reminder for me that I need to be praying for our drivers.  Usually in the wintertime when there is snow & ice I get in a solid habit of praying for them when I first wake up.  Driving in that junk is no fun - especially when you have a 120-160 mile round trip to complete.  This time of year it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to be out traveling.  But at the risk of sounding like my dad (who is Mr. Cautious/Mr. Warning), there is an element of danger out there anytime you are on the road.  So I'm going to keep working to establish a habit of prayer for our drivers.

Whatever we are doing to day & wherever we may be going, I hope we don't take our safety for granted.  And my dad would want me to tell you, "Wet pavement is slick pavement!"

No comments: