Monday, March 29, 2010

Make New Friends But Keep the Old

Make new friends,
But keep the old.
One is silver,
And the other gold!

Did anyone else sing that song with their Brownie troop? I think now they are called Daisy Scouts, but back in my elementary school days we were called Brownies. And we had uniforms that consisted of brown pants (mine had a puppy dog patch on the knee b/c of an unfortunate incident with the playground slide), white shirts with brown stripes, & a garish orange neck-tie thing. We were a stylin' troop, for sure!

Anyway, I have always been the type of girl to live up to the words of that song. I love making new friends, meeting new people, trying new things, all of that. And I hate letting go. Letting go of people, letting go of activities I am comfortable with, schedules I have been 'rutted' into, etc. I even have trouble letting go of clothes I love. Hence, my exploding closet.

I do have some rules about clothes, though. If I get something new, I try to weed out something old. Sometimes it goes to Goodwill, sometimes it goes back into the closet. But I always try! Another rule I have is that if the item has a hole that I cannot mend, it must, MUST, MUST be thrown out. Even if it breaks my heart. Such is the case with the two shirts in this picture.

In real life that polo wasn't such a total deer hunter orange. It was kind of a tangerine-y kind of orange. Anyway, I bought that polo at American Eagle something like six years ago. Shortly thereafter I found the lavender tissue tee at Old Navy. They became fast friends & were worn together often. I thought the combo was fun & definitely comfortable. A sure Go To outfit on those inevitable I overslept kind of mornings. Anyone else have those kind of mornings? I do. Often. Like today, for example.

So these two shirts bit the garbage can recently. The last time I pulled them on I noticed that they BOTH had holes that were unfixable (by me, at least). Since I wanted to give them a proper farewell, I wore them that day anyway. Are you shocked? Just to calm your sensitivities, both holes were small & inconspicuous. Nothing inappropriate going on here, folks. Except for wearing holey clothes to work. Slightly unprofessional, I suppose. But since my boss wears crocs & is constantly campaigning for permission to wear scrubs (*cough* pajamas *cough*) we obviously don't have high standards.

So I said good bye to these faithful friends. It was sad. I took a pic. I blogged about it. I now have closure.

1 comment:

Theo-Ann said...

hilarious, Mary Ann! I loved your post. Have you ever thought about turning that fave shirt, sweater, etc. into something else? During this past year, I've been inspired in the blogging world to make something old into something new...especially if it's hard to part with and it's good fabric.:) I have a small stash from weeding out our closets last year. I have yet to weed out stuff this year and I can't wait to see what I can find and make into something new!:)